Re: LS1 Air Mass Meters

Andrew Mattei wrote:
>> We've been beating on this old horse over on the LT1_Edit mailing list

Well no sooner do I speak than this shows up today on the LT1_Edit
mailing list:

-Andrew

(paste)

> If there are aftermarket, calibrated MAF's, what is in the MAF that is
> calibrated?  I thought all the calibration was done via software?

OK I am sure I will get some flack for this post but he goes. I
originally
stared working with Pro-M a Mustang MAF supplier about LT1 MAF's about 4
or
5 years ago. They calibrate the Ford units (which are voltage based) by
sandblasing resistors on the main board on a flow bench and graphing the
results. They /we tried to apply this concept to the Freq. based GM
sensors.
The GM sensors are MUCH more senisitive than the Fords and after 2 years
of
testing and nothing but problems I concluded that this approach would
not
work. Some of the problems were a lack of repeatability and only a 1 or
2 HP
gain when the car was programmed correctly. I decided to bail out of
this
project. I kind of resent that decision today since some have made many
thousands of dollars selling this product that I would not since I was
so
unhappy with its performance. If you ever wonder why some people lose
their
ethics now you know. Anyway to answer the question the units are
"calibrated" + or - to a curve by sandblasting the resistors on the main
board. IMO not the right solution to the problem.