Re: Crankshaft sensor

> I've installed a used (90K miles) 2.8L engine in a (do I have to admit it)
> Cimarron. Engine runs great, all compressions high and even. However,
today
> the crankshaft sensor failed (open coil). Fortunately it was in the shop
> when it failed, and not yesterday on a 100 mile trip. Question: Is the
> crankshaft sensor a weak link in the GM ECM controlled engine. Should I be
> looking for an aftermarket part to replace, or would a brand new AC Delco
> part be the way to go?

Personnally I use Standard Brand Ignition Parts, or AC.  From time to time
there has / had been some real garbage, from the aftermarket.
It's a reluctor sensor, as far as I know with a 1K ohm coil of wire, and an
iron slug, kinda hard to be simplier then that.  Mounted on a 200d block
with it's nose in 300d oil ain't a friendly work environment.  Given enough
thermal cycling about everthing fails.
Grumpy