Re: EPROM Programming

John:  I would believe what thrasher says, it matches everything I have ever
seen
that's true.  TPIS has a lot of really good stuff, really expensive good
stuff.  I have read
several of their chips.  What I found was interesting. (This same stuff
applies to all the
aftermarket chips I have read).  The GM chips that I am familiar with are
86-89 TPI chips.
GM commands very rich afr's at wot. GM Commands richer than is really necc
for best
performance because it is safe.  TPIS for example commands even richer afr
and adds
more timing than stock.  When my car was stock it went faster when I took
timing and fuel
out of the stock calibration.  Once I made some modifications I had to add
fuel back in
to keep the engine from going lean.
I have done hundreds of chips trying to make my calibration perfect.  I'm
still not there but I
am getting very close.  Of course now I am getting bored and considering
converting to a
730 so I can start over.
What you need is diacom or something similar to record what the engine is
doing.
You will need to record what the engine is doing and watch for detonation
and what
the 02 sensor, block learn and integrator are doing.
Then you will need a prom programmer, I like Needham's.
You will also need an editor to be able to edit the tables in the prom.
You will learn a ton about how engines work and how the gm ecm works.
You can make your engine run better than any carb and standard dist will
ever
make an engine run and have a blast doing it.  When you are doing your
homework
and not just asking for info that other had to work really hard to find you
will find that this
is an incredibly helpful group of people who share a love of this stuff.
Mark