Re: TPS boosters?

Thomas Matthews wrote:

> Saw this mentioned on one of my other lists, anyone got an opinion?

Yep.  A wrong approach to a non-problem.  I think it makes people feel
better though.  If it tells the ECM is has more TPS voltage, it HAS to
go faster, doesn't it?  ;-)   Never let it be an excuse for poor
tuning.

> Seems to me it couldn't make any
> difference at all, because WOT mode in most ECM's is 70-75%, isn't it?

You are right.  That particular ECM that I think you are refering to
does have a slower gain rate on the TPS.  But if you want more, change
the gain rate!  A byte change is a lot cheaper than that device.
And that ECM does have a TPS dependant AFR trim.  But more TPS makes
it leaner, as I recall....  Haven't looked in a while.  But the last
entry
is at 82% TPS, I think.

> Putting out even 5 v into the ECM from the TPS wouldn't help, would it?

No. In fact, that is worse, as it knows it has a bad or shorted TPS if
it
gets 5 volts, and uses a default value.  Get a scanner and look at
%TPS.
If it gets to 100% TPS, more voltage will not do a thing for you.

> Seems this is an even better way to waste $100 then lighting the bill on
> fire...

Right.  In my opinion, a complete waste of $100.

> Tom

> >Casper Electronics Throttle response calibrator is available for our cars.
> >It recalibrates the TPS above
> >70% throttle. It seems to be a good deal at only 89.95 and from what I
> >gather it seems to increase the voltage

Scot Sealander