Re: Archives

Dave Williams wrote:
>  The full headers can run 20 lines or more.  I strip everything except
> the poster's name, the list name, and the date.  Here's an entry from
> the DBfH:

Well, I agree that the header info is a lot of needless overhead, but I
am not good enough with c/perl/sed/awk/python/(insert favorite language
here) to quickly write a program to selectively strip all but the From,
Subject and Date lines out of the headers on a big scale.  From my
perspective, computing power and drive space is less costly than my time
to hand edit 130+ Mb worth of files (all EFI332 archives) or spend a day
struggling with a simple little program to do the same.  I was just
saying that viewing the files _almost_ as is turns out to be a viable
option.

If someone is handy enough to pop out a simple routine for stripping the
needless info, but still leave enough of the headers intact so that a
MIME compliant mail reader can format the messages correctly, I think
that is great.  In fact, I want it!  I just refuse to read messages
digest style when I can sort them all by subject and just go get the
ones I want selectively.

>  Then again, I do my mail a bit differently from other people...

Me too evidently ;^)

Later dates.
--
Scott Knight  mailto:sknight@mich.com