Re: Engine swap computer & wiring question

Tim De Coster wrote:

> You scare me a little when you say I need to get big time into programming
> this thing.  I really have no experience in doing this.

Heck, at least there's a group of helpful people here for when you run
into trouble.  Some of these guys started tuning when it was guess n
go.  Don't be intimidated into thinking you can't cut your own chips,
it's not that tough.  I'm sure you can find a few people on this list
that have learned how easy it is to get started.

>I don't really
> think that using the 2.8/3.1 intake, etc. will be a good thing to do either.
> That's really all that separates a 3100 from the 3.1, and thus more HP, of
> course the CR is thrown into the mix too.
It's your call.  More displacement is bound to add some zing.  And the
2.8/3.1 engine rocker arms can be replaced with smallblock 8 cyl
rockers, so you can get a set of roller tipped 1.6's if ya like.

>I already have bought a shop
> manual for the '88 Sunbird, and for a '88 Cimarron for in case I go that
> route.  Plus the ones for my '89 Z, and '88 Z electrical, so I have enough
> resources to get started at least.. now I just need the time.
Time?  What's that? ; )

> Wow, I didn't realize you had a '88 Sunbird 2.0 conv. too!  Did you get that
> in the last year or so?  I just started driving mine again last week... new
> paint... CLOTH roof (no vinyl for me anymore).. and best of all... a rear
> glass window!
I've had the ragtop since june 99.  Put a new vinyl top on it in
September.  Total investment in the car is around $1400, including the
initial purchase, the top, a head gasket, and some little stuff.  And
it's going to top 179K mi before next week is over!  Wish I'd had the
$$ for a cloth top though.

Shannen